Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Grateful Again.

I feel like life these days is one big blur of packing for Salt Lake for the weekend then work monday morning, then Driving to SLC again on Thursday with some customers between the time. Holy blur. Last weekend derrek's work had a big race and it was alot of fun to go see him in his element and be introduced to a whole new world of racing and stuff I haven't really known too much about. As you can see in the photo's below, we went go karting, hung out at the museum, and watched the races... All in all a good time by everyone. Derrek's birthday was on Tuesday so it was fun for me to get to see him during the week. We went out to dinner, drove around looking at houses (the houses in Down town are awesome) went to get some cards for some serious Rummy, and then a knock at his door. The knock was his dad and the night ended with some chatting by his father. Derrek seemed to like his gifts, although he is not the excited type- I'd rather some one jump around happy, and he did not do that, but none the less a great evening with my BF. (still weird to say) Derrek is rad!

I had a few experiences this week that made me so grateful. each of these experiences I'm going to share will count as my grateful lists... I hope thats ok with everyone.

#1 I have made it my goal to thank every veteran that sits at my desk. Not an easy task because they are usually Felons, toothless, or currently drunk as I stumble through what I can do to help them. As bad as it sounds, I have become numb to people and their issues-in my work you have to detach at some point or you'll go crazy. So I had this one specific Veteran at my desk that I decided to be nice to and bend over backwards to help- this is a new thing for me. As he stood up to leave I looked him in his eye and thanked him for his service. He pulled back his sleeves from his shirt and said to me "I'd do it again." I was especially touched when I looked down to his arms where he had pulled his sleeves back, and they were covered with scars from burns, clearly this guy has been through some serious wounds.
I thought about that, and got emotional. The Hero's of my day are literally sitting in front of me at my desk, or are all around me... how grateful I am for men and women who do the ultimate, and sacrifice for me. That's a Christ like attribute that I reverence, rather, I am learning to reverence.

#2 I deeply miss my sisters and their kids. This I am grateful for this feeling. If you are anyone in my family I have always been a little removed and wanting to live far away from them. I have always wanted to live on the east coast, but right now it wouldn't matter where we lived. I just want my sisters. I feel home sick, but really its sister sick. I want the feeling thats usually at christmas. Everyone sitting around talking, and teasing the kids. With the Twins here, and my other sister at girls camp, and then another sister across the States- far far away, I'm feeling a whole in my heart. i've turned in to a girl that would live on the same street as my sisters... I'm some one I've always made fun of.

This is all I have time for now, however I am a frequent blogger. I love you all...

SO Grateful.

No comments: